Friday 7 June 2019

Storyboard

What is a Storyboard?

A storyboard is a graphic representation of different sequences of a video, which in this case is my own music video, although it could be many other things e.g. a YouTube tutorial etc. Different scenes or shots are drawn into squares with commentary below that explain how each and every separate scene will unfold in the video. The notes section could also include a script for detailed storyboards and if it's necessary. 

Why is a Storyboard helpful?

There are a number of benefits to why storyboards are useful for planning ahead. First of all, it is common to be one of the best ways to share one's vision of a project and correctly illustrate what will be done for a specific project. Some people are unable to visualize ideas just by being told what is supposed to happen. Therefore, storyboard makes it easier to inform others better. However, because I'm doing this storyboard in order to make sure that I have my own ideas sketched and that I can remember the ideas I want to include in my music video, I won't have to share the storyboard with anyone, no matter how useful it is to visualize ideas. 

In my opinion, the best reason for making a storyboard and what makes it so useful in my case is the fact that it helps to save a lot of time for production. For example, as I know what shots will be required in the music video, I could match the storyboard with a planned timeline for which I have to finish shooting certain scenes and arrange compositions for recording. Therefore, when it comes to shooting footage, I won't have to worry about wasting time due to unplanned scenes that would require improvisation which in general is much less convenient. 

My Storyboard

Although I finished sketching and structuring my scenes below, these ideas could change throughout the filming process, and the content of the pictures below may change as I develop innovating more ideas. Below I've attached a copy of my hand-drawn sketches and basic explanation to what they represent in terms of the story.


Most of these drawings are not considered to hit the minimum standards of looking professional to my extent, although I was focusing more on writing down my ideas below very specifically that would remind me of what I want to accomplish. However, I also wanted to make sure that the actions and the explanations that come with them are brief so they won't confuse me in long term. 


I also used some terms that would generally be considered incorrect or misused. This is due to the fact that it helps me oversee things more clearly and use language that helps me understand things more rather than search for terms and mix ideas that would lack content in relation to the story of the song. For example, for scene 9 when I've mentioned the 'reverse loop effect' term that I've made up, it reminds of the fact that every time the bass drops repetitively, I will make cuts of my footage that I recorded of my bike. On the other hand, this may not be what I would remember if I used a term that is considered to be exceptional on a larger scale.


Although I forgot to include this in my storyboard, scene 14 is where the location and time change takes place, from day time to night time. I think this will be come one of those parts of that video that are likely to be changed as they don't sound as special or remarkable, and therefore it wouldn't represent well the meaning of the song that is necessary in my opinion to include in order to suggest a more creative and resourceful meaning. Furthermore, the specific reason why the change from scene 13 into scene 14 is an inconstant factor to me is mainly because I haven't mentioned any specific transition effects that would appeal to my eye.


Now that I'm finished drawing my storyboards, my plan for shooting the music video will be much easier. For example, I know that I will construct the music video across 21 different scenes, plus the intro. Furthermore, every time that I will go outside in the open, there will be a minor objective to follow simple instructions on my organised drawings and have notes that will further help me out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Music Video checklist

Music Video Coursework Task Duration of music video – 3 minutes Sony Music – Give an explanation of who they are o     Pitch...