Monday 1 April 2019

Pitching Music Video Idea

My Music Video

What the song is

The song I chose to do for my music video is called 'Day 'n' Nite'. To be more specific, I chose the Crookers remix version although the song has many other remixes. This song has a disco-like type-beat with several repetitive beats drops similar to the original version from the artist's album 'Man on the Moon'. 

The story behind the the music video/song is that Lil Gems is part of two separate societies one of which lives at daytime and the other that's alive at night time. The context behind these two environments is that the character is constantly under the presence of working hard and not being able to rest for a minute as he's personal space is greatly invaded. More specifically, instead of expanding more about what it's like to work through day and night time, I was thinking that I should build more on just simply staying awake all the time reflecting more on the modern generation. This idea often has connotations of improper use of products consumed by customers underage. In other words, energy drinks or excessive amounts of sugar. Similarly to ''Party Rock Anthem'', its all about loosing control over consciousnesses and a metaphorically sober mind of seeing the difference between what is normal and unnatural. 

In relation to this, younger teenagers are often considered to be lonely so I will link that with the lyrics and the idea of isolation. These themes are usually summarized as a whole because they have a compact effect. This is mostly going to be represented by a limited amount of characters on screen. 

Narrative






Continuing the annotations from ''what the song is'' and going into detail about the narrative, I will surely include constant movements and special effects/colors to entertain the audience in a satisfying way although the overall message is supposed to be about the irritation of non-stop living.

The image above shows I how broke down the lyrics into the types of transitions I'm thinking about using for specific references and words. Also, some of my ideas are not written down on the page for the same lines, as I would most likely apply the same transition effect to retain the overall impact on the audience.

Starting with the first verse, the first line contains quite a lot of verbs implying constant movement. I thought I would take a midshot of the artist in the music video while rotating the camera. This would be quite fast in order to match the pace of the song. Also, the line ends with the repetition of the word 'mind' so, therefore, I would repeat the footage. For the first half of the second line, I was thinking about including a landscape to imply the openness of the artist and in contrast,  when it says ''but see I don't attain'', I could cover the camera to suggest that the potential for 'peace' is not present. The word 'play' keeps repeating at the end of the third line which is where I would apply the same effect as I panned earlier. When it comes to the idea of magnets, I was thinking about zooming in and out of the picture with the lens where it deliberately focuses on the main character in the frame. I could also call this the reverse effect. At the sixth line, the camera is moving at the same pace as the person on the footage, but eventually, the camera overruns the person suggesting that he/she is being too slow. This should take up enough time on the screen so that the first verse finishes with this scene.

In relation to the chorus, every time the lyrics mention 'night', the video will include footage of the moon and other places at nighttime to have the same context in visuals as it has in words. Before the first repetition of the chorus, it will be daytime and it will continually change back at the second verse to show the dividend sides of the song and its multiple atmospheres.

For the second verse, at the first line, when it mentions the 'phone', I will rotate the camera around my hand while holding a phone and then quickly reversing it afterward. Then, as a result of the multiple repetitions of 'lonely', the main character is going to be alone in the dark near a source of heavy lighting such as street lights to compose a shade. This not only builds an image of what is being said but also fits the idea of dreams as people usually dream at nighttime when they are sleeping. For that part, I was thinking about including something abstract looking making the subject of the scene unreal. Moving on, pain is often expressed by the color of red due to the imagery of violence and brutality, so I will use a red background to zoom into a pit somewhere in the woods where everything looks lonely and helpless. This color effect will be applied until the end of the repetition of the word 'peep' where the color flashes the screen twice and after the second time, it disappears. The 8th line is going to zoom in onto the eyes of the character suggesting inner emotions and pain as a result of being rejected. At the end of the verse, the camera is going to keep zooming in and out of the iris of the eye with the scene ending with a blink implying the end of everything.

For the second repetition of the chorus, I will apply the same method I used for the first one, however, because I don't want to make the video look repetitive and therefore boring, I will apply different angles, compositions, and color effects. I could possible include clips of hills, streets, forests etc. Anything that has implications of darkness and iconic references to being lot as the artist in the song often mentions himself as being 'lonely'. 

The third verse and the third repetition of the chorus have been cut from the song to make it shorter, therefore, I will apply some of the methods I was going to use for the third verse to be on the second verse. This makes it more proactive in the video. In other words, there will be more effects applied to make it look better etc.

Why it is suitable?

Since my object is to construct a good pop song music video, my decisions for the narrative section are suitable because my target audience is likely to be the younger generation and the younger adults. Luckily, this pop song has a lot of disco-like features that I could use to make the video much better looking that it would look otherwise for just a pop song as I believe that the more color effects and transitions are applied within a reason, the better the overall outcome is going to be. 

I will include several transition effects each varying from one another but also relatable to the lyrics when the effect is being applied. Therefore, it matches the message of the song and delivers the meaning with a reasonable example making it more suitable for the audience. As I mentioned at the beginning of this post, this remix version of the song has a disco-like effect which fits very well with additional color effects and flashing lights. However, unlike most typical and iconic disco songs, this remix actually has a fast pace, therefore, I was thinking about making the cuts between each composition and angle change a lot faster than how it would change for a slower song. Whenever the beat drop comes on in the song, I will make the cuts change at the exact same pace as the beat itself while performing an action in a smooth motion. This will therefore be suitable for my audience because it is most likely what they would expect to see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Music Video checklist

Music Video Coursework Task Duration of music video – 3 minutes Sony Music – Give an explanation of who they are o     Pitch...