Friday 5 July 2019

Call Sheets

Call Sheets


Call sheets are often sued in filming and photography to help the director disseminate shooting content for the crew and identify daily actions that have to be filmed in order to accomplish as much as possible in a limited amount of time. The cast is more likely to be prepared if they are given a call sheet, as they would know exactly what is expected of them. 

In order to be more organized on the days that I used and will use for shooting, I decided to create some call sheets that I gave to the cast of the music video. In order to make the structure more structured, I have adapted it to a real life example (see attached below).



Since I have been working with a small crew to film my music video, I was able to construct a simpler version of an ideal call sheet that would otherwise be used for bigger budget music videos and films. I limited the content that I have placed on my call sheets so that I could keep it simple and consistent throughout. I also decided not to fill in certain gaps such as the date and day of filming. This is due to the fact that I would primarily type in all the information that was certain to happen, and then adjust what times they need to be completed to allow more flexibility for my crew and myself. (See my version below).



After acknowledging a deep understanding of call sheets and their purpose in filming, I started doing further research into shot lists and realized that the two working materials are ideally the same. However, depending on how someone constructs them could limit the level of detail in both. In this case, I could potentially include most of the content from my call sheets into my shot lists. Therefore, I would save a huge amount of time not having to focus on both and perhaps repeat writing down information more than once, which otherwise could potentially confuse me in case the information doesn't match in both.

As a conclusion, because I work closely with my crew for filming, I decided not to make any call sheets as it would be unnecessary, especially for a small group like mine. In other words, information such as personal contacts would not be required as I already have those figured out, and I know the people I'm working with. Instead, I decided to give my cast a copy of my shot lists. This is a positive for multiple reasons:

First of all, I'm letting my cast know about the actions and scene descriptions that have to be managed. I also inform them about the angles and compositions that will be applied. Although this part of the shot lists might not make sense at first sight due to the nature of filming, it provides an ideal image for the reader that could be explained in more detail in order to film more precisely.

Furthermore, shot lists are written in more detail about the location of filming and the subject(s) that will be in each shot reflecting on the cast members that I want to be in my compositions. The description for each shot will ideally explain how the interiors and exteriors + actions will be carried out, so that the people reading them, will be aware of the things I want to film. This will provide further knowledge to those readers who are primarily confused with types of shots and angles used during filming. By giving a copy of the shot lists to my crew, the completion of each task as a group will keep us up to date.

In addition to why I changed my thought on which process I will progress with further, I'm also aware that call sheets are often used for daily processes rather than for summarizing the music video as a whole, unlike a shot list which highlights actions taking place consecutively allowing me to tick off significant actions one after another, meaning that I wouldn't have to worry about smaller details which could otherwise be improvised (consuming less time).

Overall, dates and timings of shot lists are more flexible which results in greater convenience and the absence of being manipulated by the primary dates on call sheets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Music Video checklist

Music Video Coursework Task Duration of music video – 3 minutes Sony Music – Give an explanation of who they are o     Pitch...